Why It Is Essential to Install Carbon Dioxide Sensors in Restaurants

Calling all restaurant, bar and venue owners, if you don’t already have carbon dioxide sensors in your establishment, then you really should reconsider. The dangers of CO2 have become very apparent over time. Illness and even death can occur due to CO2 poisoning.

Why Is CO2 so Dangerous?

Carbon dioxide is extremely dangerous and it is essential to know just what the dangers are, especially in enclosed spaces, such as a restaurant. There are constantly levels of CO2 in the air we breathe, these levels do not affect our health, nor are they dangerous. The danger comes when we are exposed to high levels of CO2, your body can begin to replace oxygen in your red blood cells with CO2, which prevents oxygen from reaching your tissues and organs. This can cause many adverse health effects, including;

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Brain damage
  • Damage to heart
  • Miscarriage
  • Death

 

Who Are the Most at Risk?

Unborn Babies

Fetal blood cells take in more carbon dioxide than adult blood cells. Although there is no pattern of birth defects in unborn babies who have been exposed to high levels of CO2, there is a risk of brain damage and death.

Children

Younger children take more breaths than adults do, this makes them far more susceptible.

Older Adults and the Elderly

Older adults who have never experienced CO2 poisoning are more likely to experience brain damage if exposed to it later in life.

People with Chronic Heart Disease

If you have a history of anaemia or breathing problems, then you may be more likely to become ill if exposed to high amounts of carbon dioxide.

People Who Become Unconscious Due to Carbon Dioxide Poisoning

Loss of consciousness due to carbon dioxide poisoning can often lead to irreversible brain damage. Becoming unconscious usually indicates large exposure to carbon dioxide.

Installing Carbon Dioxide Sensors in Restaurants

You wouldn’t think twice about installing a fire alarm and smoke detectors into a restaurant, so why should it be any different for carbon dioxide sensors? The answer is: it shouldn’t.

 

Preventing CO2 Injuries

Ensure That Your CO2 System is Installed by a Reputable Contractor

The first step is ensuring that your CO2 system is safe to begin with. Accidents can happen and this is usually how co2 poisoning comes about, so ensuring that your establishment is as safe as possible by hiring reputable contractors to install it is essential.

Proper Signage

Ensure that there is proper signage around where your CO2 system is, these should be clearly visible.

Employee Training

Train employees on how to stop a CO2 leak and what the proper protocol is if they suspect it. CO2 has no smell when it is in small quantities. In larger quantities, people have reported experiencing a sharp, acidic smell that burns the sinuses.

Install Carbon Dioxide Sensors

Finally, installing carbon dioxide sensors will help ensure that every precaution is covered in your restaurant. CO2 isn’t just dangerous when inhaled, restaurant kitchens use fire to cook food, so this could prove dangerous when around a CO2 leak and could cause an explosion.